Guys, I Love love Mexican food. Unfortunately, our city doesn’t have a lots of options when it comes to delicious Mexican cuisine. Oh well, look at the bright side, I get to do trial and error in the kitchen while trying different types of southern recipes. And I guess we all agree that homemade food tastes so much better.
If you love tex-mex flavors then this is your dish. I can’t get enough of this soup. It’s so healthy and flavorful, perfect for this freezing weather, to warm you up in no time. To be honest, nothing beats winter like a steaming bowl of soup. Oh so yummy!
This hearty, belly-warming soup can be in front of you in under 20 minutes, just make sure to have boiled shredded chicken ready to get you started.
I recommend that you don’t skip the garnish part, because we totally enjoyed eating the freshly sliced avocados, the crunchy feel of the tortilla chips, and rich nutty taste of shredded Mexican blend cheese.
Our family loved this and quickly gobbled it down. I had some leftover soup and I packed that for hubby’s lunch. Like the saying goes, the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. So I guess DH must be excited to eat his lunch today.
You will need:
- 1 lbs boneless chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes or 1 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can green enchiladas sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder (adjust to your liking)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced avocados
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla strips or chips (use baked tortillas for healthier alternative)
- shredded cheese of your choice (I used Mexican blend)
- lemon wedges
Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions, garlic cloves, grated ginger, and saute until the onions are slightly caramelized. Add bell pepper and cook for another min or so.
Add fire roasted tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans, vegetable stock, corn, lemon juice, red chili powder, paprika, and cumin powder.
Let it come to boil and taste and see if you need to season with salt or pepper. Most likely you will need some salt.
Add the boiled shredded chicken and simmer for 10-12 mins.
Take it out in individual bowls. Garnish with sliced avocados, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and lemon wedges. Serve immediately.